Getting Started with ESMC: Step 2 of 6
Follow the instructions below to install ESET Security Management Center Server (ESMC Server) on your network. For more information about what’s new in ESMC 7.2, see [KB7515]
- Download ESET Security Management Center Server installer file.
- When downloaded, run the installer.
- On the Welcome screen, use the Language drop-down menu to adjust the language settings. Click Next to proceed.
- Select Install and click Next.
- Read the End-user license agreement. If you agree, select I accept the terms in the license agreement. Deselect the check box Participate in product improvement program if you do not agree to send crash reports and telemetry data to ESET. If the check box is left selected, telemetry data and crash reports will be sent to ESET. Click Next.
- Your network architecture will determine which components should be installed. Read the descriptions below and deselect the check box next to any components that you do not want to install. Click Install when you are done selecting components. Installation time will vary depending on your system configuration. If a prerequisite is not satisfied or an error occurs, follow the instructions from the installer to resolve any issues.
- Microsoft SQL Server Express: If you have an existing Microsoft SQL or MySQL database that you will use with ESET Security Management Center, deselect this check box. Leave this check box selected to create a new Microsoft SQL Server Express database for use with ESET Security Management Center.
- ESET Security Management Center Webconsole: This will install the Apache Tomcat service necessary for ESET Security Management Center Server to manage clients. We strongly recommend that you leave this check box selected. Select the check box Add custom HTTPS certificate for the Web console if you want to use a custom HTTPS certificate for the ESMC Web Console. If you do not select this option, a new keystore is automatically generated for Tomcat.
- Mobile Device Connector: This will install the ESET Mobile Device Connector (MDC) component, which allows for the remote management of Android and iOS devices. See our MDC FAQ for more information.
- Rogue Detection Sensor: This will install ESET Rogue Detection Sensor, a component that helps locate unmanaged computers on your network so that you can deploy resources to allow for their management via ESMC. We strongly recommend that you leave this check box selected.
- Apache HTTP Proxy: We recommend that you deselect this component if you are unsure whether it is needed on your network. Apache HTTP Proxy can deliver significant performance improvements on networks of roughly 40 computers or more. Using HTTP Proxy will create and apply several proxy-based policies for clients and apply them automatically, which can affect your ability to download updates. You can install Apache HTTP Proxy later if you want.
- Click Next in the ESET Security Management Center Server Setup window.
- If you chose to have Microsoft SQL Server Express installed in step 6, click Next to perform a database connection check and continue to step 9.
Users with a pre-existing database: Select the appropriate database type from the Database drop-down menu. Type the Database name, Hostname and Port (you can find this information in SQL Server Configuration Manager) for your database into the appropriate fields. If you are using MS SQL database, you can also select the Use Named Instance check box. This will allow you to use custom database instance, including MS SQL database that is installed in a Failover Cluster (see more details in Online Help). Enter database administrator Username and Password. Then click Next. In the following screen, select Use existing user and then enter the Database username and Password if one is used.
- Type the password you will use to log into ESMC Web Console into the Password and Confirm Password fields. Make sure to record this password for use later and then click Next.
- In the Certificate information window, you can customize your Certification Authority. The only mandatory fields are Authority common name and Certificate validity. Enter any information about your Certification Authority that you want to add. If you create a password make sure that you record it because all client computers using this certificate will require that password to use the certificate. Click Next when you are finished.
- Select Activate with License Key and type your License Key into the appropriate field, or select Activate later. If you have an ESET-issued Username and Password from an earlier version of ERA, you can convert them into a license key using ESET Business Account. Click Next when you are finished.
- Click Install.
- Click Finish.
- If you selected to install the Rogue Detection Sensor, you will see the Installation Wizard for WinPcap driver. Make sure to select the check box Automatically start the WinPcap driver at boot time.
- At the Installation successful window, click the URL link to open ESMC Web Console. We recommend that you bookmark or make note of this URL for future reference. By default, the ESMC installer will create a link to Web Console in your Start menu.
- Open ESET Security Management Center Web Console (ESMC Web Console) in your web browser, log in and save the ESMC Web Console to your browser’s favorites. How do I open ESMC Web Console? See also Getting started with ESMC Web Console.
If you are performing a new installation of ESMC, proceed to Step 3, add client computers.