This topic describes what to do to enable 2-step verification for your My F-Secure account.
To be able to use 2-step verification, you need to install an authentication app, such as Google Authenticator or Duo Mobile, on your mobile device. If it’s not already installed on your device, you can get it from an app store.
2-step verification adds an extra layer of security to your My F-Secure account. It ensures that no one can log in as you, even if that person has managed to find out your account password. 2-step verification requires something that only you know (your password) and something that only you have (a unique code). This unique code is generated by you with the mobile authentication app.
To take 2-step verification into use:
- Log in to My F-Secure with your username and password.
- Go to <your name> > Account settings and select F-Secure account settings.
The Account settings window opens.
- Next to the 2-Step Verification status, select Change.
The Turn on 2-Step Verification window opens.
- Select Set up.
The Set up 2-Step Verification window opens.
- If you have not yet installed an authentication app on your device, do it now.
- Open the authentication app and scan the QR code shown in the Set up 2-Step Verification window.
Note: Instead of scanning the QR code, you can alternatively select the Show code link and manually enter the security code shown in the window into the authentication app. As soon as you have scanned or entered the code, your F-Secure account is added to the authentication app and the authentication code is automatically generated.
- Enter the authentication code into the empty field in the Set up 2-Step Verification window and select Turn on.
The 2-step verification is now on.
- The final thing you need to do is to generate and save the so-called recovery codes. These recovery codes serve as backup access to your account if later, when you are trying to log in to your My F-Secure account, you cannot for some reason generate the code with the authentication app. Do one of the following:
- Select View current recovery codes to view the codes in your web browser.
- Select Download recovery codes as as a text file. The codes are downloaded on your computer as a .txt file. Go to your Downloads folder, and save your codes in a safe place.
- Select Generate new recovery codes > Generate to create a new set of recovery codes.
Note: When you generate new recovery codes, the previously generated codes will no longer work. Remember to save the new codes.
Important: Keep these codes safe and make sure that only you can access them. You can only use each code once and in the order that they are listed.