The improved Microsoft 365 Defender portal is now available. This new experience brings Defender for Endpoint, Defender for Office 365, Microsoft 365 Defender, and more into the Microsoft 365 Defender portal. Learn what’s new.
- Microsoft 365 Defender
An established Security Operations Center (SOC) should have a catalog of services that might include:
- Intrusion & malware analysis
- Attribution & reverse engineering
- Threat intelligence
- Hunting investigation
- Incident response
- Computer Security Incident Response Team (CSIRT) (that may be segregated from SOC)
- Compliance testing
- Insider threat & fraud monitoring
- Security incident & event monitoring
- Vulnerability scanning
- Extended Detection and Response (XDR)/Security Orchestration, Automation, and Response (SOAR)
- Data loss prevention
- Brand monitoring
Because Microsoft 365 Defender technologies span various functions, your SOC team will need to determine which roles and responsibilities are best suited to manage each component of Microsoft 365 Defender and align to service function.
The components of Microsoft 365 Defender are:
- Microsoft Defender for Identity (formerly Azure Advanced Threat Protection, also known as Azure ATP) is a cloud-based security solution that uses Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) signals to identify, detect, and investigate advanced threats, compromised identities, and malicious insider actions directed at organizations.
- Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is a holistic, cloud delivered endpoint security solution for devices that includes risk-based vulnerability management and assessment, attack surface reduction, behavioral based and cloud-powered next generation protection, endpoint detection and response (EDR), automatic investigation and remediation, managed hunting services, rich APIs, and unified security management.
- Microsoft Defender for Office 365 is a cloud-based email filtering service that helps protect organizations against unknown malware and viruses by providing robust zero-day protection and includes features to safeguard organizations from harmful links in real time. It also offers a comprehensive slate of investigation and hunting, response and remediation, awareness and training, and secure posture features.
- Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps is a cloud access security broker (CASB) that supports various deployment modes including log collection, API connectors, and reverse proxy. It provides rich visibility, control over data travel, and sophisticated analytics to identify and combat cyberthreats across all Microsoft and third-party cloud services.
Because Microsoft 365 Defender components and technologies span various functions, your SOC team will need to determine which roles and responsibilities are best suited to manage each component of Microsoft 365 Defender and align to service function.