Applies to: Sophos Home Premium for MacOS
Privacy Guard is a Sophos Home Premium feature that protects against unwanted use of the webcam and microphone of your computer. Sophos Home notifies you when a non-Apple signed application that uses a camera and microphone is launched and provides users the option to Stop, Allow, or Always allow it.
This article demonstrates how to add trusted applications to the Webcam/Microphone exceptions (Privacy Guard exceptions).
To add your trusted application to the Webcam/Microphone exceptions:
- Launch the application that you want to allow.
- Access the webcam or microphone through the application. For example, start a videocall/use anything audio/microphone related in said app. This notifies you that the microphone or camera is currently active.
- Clicking Allow will allow the current process to continue, however, a new notification will pop-up on subsequent use. Clicking Stop will prevent an application from using the mic/camera, subsequent uses will trigger new notifications.
- If you wish to always allow an application to use the camera/mic, trigger the detection, click on the Sophos Home Shield and choose Always Allow.
Note: If trying to allow a video-calling application, consider running the application’s audio/video test in order to trigger the detections.
Note 2: Applications that require holding the mouse left-click to start audio recording may also trigger the detection if using a right-click instead (this may allow users to leave the microphone running, while also being able to click on the Sophos Home Shield)
- Check that the application has been added in the Webcam/Microphone exceptions.
Once the application has already been added to the exceptions, you will no longer receive notifications whenever it uses the camera or microphone.