What is a Malware?
Malicious software or malware, are programs or files that performs malicious activity without users consent. Its main intention is to do harmful effects to the device.
How can I get infected?
Users who visit malicious or compromised websites may have downloaded the malware, unwittingly. Malware can also arrive as a payload that another malware have either dropped or downloaded. Some are delivered as attachments to spammed email.
Once ran in the device, a malware can either do things such as exploitation, remote control, information theft, deception, corruption and more.
How can I prevent infection?
- Always check who the email sender isIf the email is supposedly coming from a bank, verify with your bank if the message is legitimate. If the email came from a personal contact, confirm if your contact sent the message. Do not rely solely on trust by virtue of relationship, as your friend or family member may be a victim of spammers as well.
- Double-check the content of the messageThere are obvious factual errors or discrepancies that you can spot. For example, if your bank or a friend claims that they have received something from you, try to go to your recently sent items to double-check their claim. Such spammed messages can also use other social engineering lures to persuade users to open the message.
- Avoid clicking links in emailIt is safer to visit any site mentioned in email directly. If you have to click on a link in email, make sure your browser uses web reputation services to check the link, or you can use free services such as Trend Micro Site Safety Center.
- Always ensure your software is up-to-dateRegularly updating installed software provides another layer of security against many attacks.
- Backup important dataOne good practice is to ensure you have the latest backups of your files. The 3-2-1 principle should be in play: three copies, two different media, one separate location.
- Download from legitimate sites or sourcesOnly download programs and files from credible websites and not from other sites that just indicate they have the actual file or program.
How can Trend Micro protect me from malware?
Trend Micro Security blocks these threats from possible points of infection. It prevents access to dangerous websites, including harmful links from social networks, spam and email messages. It also warns the user about running recently downloaded files.