Before you begin:
- Remove other security products
If you have other security products installed on your computer, remove them following their recommended removal steps. Removing these products prevents conflicts and degraded performance.
- Check for older versions of McAfee security products
If you have an older McAfee product on your computer that is identical to the product on your CD, leave the product installed. If the installer detects an older version, it skips the installation and allows you to extend your subscription. If your McAfee security product version is not identical to the product from your retail box, remove the current product before you install the CD version. Use the instructions in: TS101331 – How to remove McAfee products from a PC that runs Windows
When you are ready to install, click for details about the two installation methods that you can use:
- Your computer does not have a CD drive
- Your internet connection is fast
- You are installing a multi-device license on a second computer
Follow these steps for a web installation:
- Open the product packaging and locate the Quick Start guide which includes an activation code or product key.
- Go to mcafee.com/activate.
- Type your activation code or product key.
NOTE: You can only use your product key once to register your application. If you see a message that says the code has already been used but you have not installed the product, try it again. If you have previously used the key, you can’t continue with the installation.
- When prompted, register as a new user or access home.mcafee.com with your existing McAfee account details.
- Download your product, and follow the installation steps.
- Insert the McAfee CD into your CD drive. The installer runs automatically. If it does not, run Setup.exe from the CD.
- Read and agree to the End-User License Agreement.
- Follow the installation prompts.
- If the software version on the CD does not support your web browser and operating system, the installer might download a newer version. The download might take a long time over slow internet connections.
- If your web browser and operating system are supported, you have two options:
- Install from files on disk or install from files online. The Download and install the latest version of your software from the web (recommended) option controls the source.
- Use online files is automatically selected, by default.
- To install from disk, deselect the checkbox. The installer installs the version from the CD. The product updates later.
- When prompted, type the activation code or product key from your CD.
- Type your McAfee account credentials. If you don’t already have a McAfee account, click the link and follow the prompts to create one.
- Click Finish.
- For full protection, your PC must be connected to the internet so that your McAfee software can download updates after the installation completes.
- If you have a problem, contact Customer Service.
If you are installing your products on multiple computers, or have replaced a computer and need to reinstall your McAfee security software, you might encounter issues if all your product keys are in use.
For example, if you have three computers and replace one, you might see this error when you try to install your McAfee software on the new computer:
If you see this message, deactivate the record for the old computer before you install the same license on the new computer:
- On your new computer, go to home.mcafee.com.
- Log in with your McAfee account credentials.
- Select the computer that you no longer use.
- Click Deactivate. The license is now available.
- Select the product you want to install and click Download.
NOTE: If you have used all your licenses, you can purchase more from your My Account page at any time, by clicking Buy Now.