App Lock and Guest Mode are being removed from upcoming updates of McAfee Mobile Security. Be aware of these changes if you use these features:
- App Lock: Any apps that are locked with a PIN are no longer protected after your app is updated
- Guest Mode: This restricted mode on the device is turned off and no longer available.
See TS103165 – Changes to McAfee Mobile Security (July – September 2021) for the update schedule. This article shows when the changes shown above will be introduced to MMS in your country.
NOTE: You can continue using McAfee Mobile Security even after the App Lock and Guest Mode features have been removed.
For additional changes on iOS and Android, see:
- TS103143 – Feature Removal: McAfee Mobile Security Backup
- TS103144 – Feature Removal: McAfee Mobile Security Media Vault for iOS
Product affectedThe changes shown above affect the following product:
- McAfee Mobile Security for Android, included as part of McAfee LiveSafe and McAfee Total Protection
Any apps locked by the App Lock feature are no longer locked after the update.
What happens to my guest profiles after I install the new update?
Restricted mode is turned off on devices with Guest Profiles enabled.
Do I need to do anything before I install the new update?
No, you do not need to do anything. But, if you want to, you can remove the lock manually from currently locked apps. You can also take this opportunity to remind yourself which apps were locked:
- App lock
- Open McAfee Mobile Security.
- Tap App lock. A list of locked and unlocked apps are shown.
- Tap Locked, then select all apps in the list.
- Tap Unlock.
If Guest Mode is activated, you only see apps that have been authorized. You can turn off Guest Mode before updating:
- Guest Mode
On the top right of the main screen, you see a link for Unrestricted mode.
- Tap Unrestricted mode at the top right.
- Type your 6-digit PIN when prompted. Guest Mode is disabled.
Are there any alternative Android features that I can use?
The Android operating system provides an option to create guest access. To learn how, see how to add, switch, or delete users.
If you have other questions about these changes, contact Technical Support.