Why is there now an ‘extension-only’ version?
Until early 2017, True Key was available only as an app which you installed on your PC, Mac, or mobile device. Because not everyone wants to install an app, we have also made True Key available as a smaller, extension-only version which you install in your web browser.
You have the choice of using one of two versions of True Key:
- The full True Key app, which you install on your PC, Mac, or mobile device.
- The extension-only version, which you install only in your web browser, just like any other browser extension.
The extension-only version of True Key manages your passwords, helping you to log on to your favorite websites quickly and easily.
What are the differences between the extension-only version and the full True Key app?
There are some important differences between the app and the extension-only version. See the table below for details:
|Feature||True Key app||Extension-only|
|Web browser support||Google Chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge||Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge*|
|Platform support||Android and iOS||Mac and PC|
|Log on with fingerprint||Yes§||No|
|Log on with face||Yes||Yes†|
|Disk space required||120 MB||20 MB|
* Initially only Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Mozilla Firefox are supported. Support for Internet Explorer is coming soon.
§ Log on with fingerprint is only available on some Android or iOS devices.
†Additional 75 MB download required for Log in with face, or Password import with the extension-only version.
How do I install the extension-only version of True Key?
To install the extension, follow these steps. Remember, the True Key extension can only be added to Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Edge now. Support for Internet Explorer is coming soon:
- Go to https://www.truekey.com.
- Click the Download – it’s free button. If you are a new user who has never installed True Key before on this computer, a message similar to the following appears:
The example above is from Microsoft Edge. Other browsers display a different message. For example, in Firefox, you see:
NOTE: If you do not see a dialog, you might already have the full True Key app installed. If so, you must first uninstall the full app before you can install the extension-only version.
- Click Add extension, Allow, or Get, depending on your browser. True Key is added to your browser.
- When the installation completes, click Let’s go, and fill in the details to create your profile.
- Confirm your master password when prompted. This password is the last one you must remember.
- Follow the steps to add your first login.
- Watch for an email from [email protected]. When you see the email, open it and click the confirmation link inside.
How do I access True Key in my browser?
Look for the True Key icon in the extensions area of your browser. For example, in Chrome, True Key can be accessed from the top right of your browser:
Click this icon to open the True Key dashboard in your browser.
Can I have both versions installed?
Yes. But if you are considering having both installed, be aware of the following:
- If you have the extension-only version installed, you can later install the full True Key app (essentially upgrading to the full features) with no problem.
- If you have the full True Key app installed and want to use the extension-only version, you must first uninstall the full app. Then download and install the extension as described above.