RTM Release Notes
Copyright © 1998-2016 F-Secure Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
F-Secure Virtual Security is the solution to protect your virtualized servers and desktops against malware, exploits, network-based attacks and other security threats. It improves the operation efficiency and reduces the impact to virtual infrastructure while ensuring up-to-date security and policy compliance. The solution is hypervisor agnostic so it can be deployed in private or public cloud environments based on any virtualization platforms.
F-Secure Virtual Security release includes:
- F-Secure Client Security 12.00 or newer
- F-Secure Server Security 11.00 or newer
- F-Secure Email and Server Security 11.00 or newer
- F-Secure Scanning and Reputation Server 12.00 *
- F-Secure Policy Manager 12.10 *
F-Secure client and server security products are installed on virtual desktops and servers respectively. They include the Offload Scanning Agent (OSA) that interacts with F-Secure Scanning and Reputation Server for malware scanning, content analysis and reputation check, which minimizes resource consumption and performance impact to the virtualization infrastructure.
F-Secure Scanning and Reputation Server is a dedicated security server based on Linux operating system and employs technologies used in the existing F-Secure award-winning end-point and server protection products. It comes as a virtual appliance that can be easily deployed in your virtualization (VI or VDI) environment.
All parts of the solution are centrally managed with F-Secure Policy Manager.
* To use the new features and functionality in Scanning and Reputation Server 12.00, you must configure it with Policy Manager 12.10.
How it works
The following diagram explains how different parts of the solution are deployed and work with each other in the virtual environment.
F-Secure Policy Manager – provides centralized management for F-Secure security protection installed on physical and virtual machines. F-Secure Policy Manager is available for Windows and Linux platforms and should be installed on a separate virtual machine.
F-Secure Policy Manager Console is the administration console to define policies, deploy F-Secure software and monitor status of security in your virtual environment. F-Secure Policy Manager Console can be installed to a separate or the same virtual machine running F-Secure Policy Manager Server.
F-Secure Client Security and F-Secure Server Security – endpoint security protection installed on physical or virtual desktops and servers respectively. It includes F-Secure Management Agent (FSMA), Anti-Virus (FSAV), Offload Scanning Agent (OSA), DeepGuard, Web Traffic Scanning (WTS), Web Content Control (WCC), Email Scanning and Browsing Protection (BP). F-Secure Client Security also includes Firewall, Device Control and Software Updater components.
F-Secure Offload Scanning Agent – installed together with F-Secure Client Security and F-Secure Server Security to a virtual machine in order to offload malware scanning and content reputation checking to a dedicated F-Secure Scanning and Reputation Server. This allows to minimize the performance impact to virtualization infrastructure.
F-Secure Scanning and Reputation Server – the virtual appliance based on Linux platform. It provides malware scanning and content reputation services.
Compatibility and requirements
- Supported virtualization platforms
- VMware vSphere 5.1, 5.5, 6.0
- Citrix XenServer 6.2, 6.5
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012 and 2012 R2 with Hyper-V role
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2, 2012 and 2012 R2
Virtualization platforms hardware requirements
Hardware requirements for the virtualization platfom in vSphere 5 and XenCenter environments:
Processor: 64bit x86 CPU with at least four cores Memory: At least 4 GB Hard drive: SCSI disk or a local RAID LUN with unpartitioned space for virtual machines Network connection: At least one network interface, Gigabit or 10Gb
Hardware requirements for the virtualization platfom in Windows Server with Hyper-V Role environment:
Processor: x64 compatible CPU with Intel VT or AMD-V technology enabled. 2 GHz or faster is recommended.
Hardware Data Execution Prevention (DEP) must be available and enabled (Intel XD or AMD NX).
Memory: At least 4 GB, 1 TB maximum Hard drive: SCSI disk or a local RAID LUN with partitioned space for virtual machines Network connection: At least one network interface, Gigabit or 10Gb
- Scanning and Reputation Server requirements
- F-Secure Scanning and Reputation Server is a preconfigured virtual machine that is based on 64-bit CentOS distribution.
The number of installed instances depends on the number and type of virtual machines you need to protect and how much resources are available on the hypervisor host. At minimum, F-Secure Scanning and Reputation Server requires the following:
- 20 GB disk space
- 4 GB RAM
- 4 virtual CPUs
- Supported guest operating system
- F-Secure Virtual Security solution can protect virtualized servers and desktops running the following operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows Vista
- Microsoft Windows 7
- Microsoft Windows 8
- Microsoft Windows 8.1
- Microsoft Windows 10
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2
- Microsoft Small Business Server 2003
- Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 R2
- Microsoft Small Business Server 2008
- Microsoft Small Business Server 2011, Standard edition
- Microsoft Small Business Server 2011, Essentials
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Essentials
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2
Note: All Operating Systems should have the latest service pack from Microsoft installed.
- Centralized management
- The product is centrally managed with F-Secure Policy Manager.
F-Secure Policy Manager can be deployed on a dedicated Windows or Linux virtual machine.
Note: For more information, see F-Secure Policy Manager release notes.
For detailed deployment instructions, see F-Secure Virtual Security deployment guide.
Licensing and installation keys
A license key is required to install F-Secure client and server protection products. Installation keycodes can be found from License certificate. Scanning and Reputation Server does not require any License key. You can start using all the features of the server immediately after deployment.
F-Secure Policy Manager does not require an installation keycode. However, in order to use it for other than evaluation purposes, the product must be registered with a valid customer number provided with the license certificate.
This section lists currently known issues in this release.
Contact information and feedback
We look forward to hearing your comments on the functionality, usability and performance.
When reporting a technical issue, please attach the F-Secure diagnostic report to the feedback.
This report contains basic information about hardware, operating system, network configuration and installed F-Secure and third-party software.
Also, please provide the following information about your virtual environment:
- The name and version of hypervisor software
- Resources (CPU, RAM, etc.) on host(s) running the hypervisor software
- The name and version of VI/VDI software in use
- Number of virtual machines running F-Secure Client Security
- Number of virtual machines running F-Secure Server Security
- Number of deployed F-Secure SRS servers
F-Secure License terms
F-Secure license terms are included in the software. You must read and accept them before you can install and use the software.