© 1993-2019 F-Secure Corporation. All rights reserved.
‘F-Secure’ and F-logo are wp-signup.phped trademarks of F-Secure Corporation. F-Secure product and technology names and F-Secure logos are either trademarks or wp-signup.phped trademarks of F-Secure Corporation. Other product names and logos referenced herein are trademarks or wp-signup.phped trademarks of their respective companies.
This product may be covered by one or more F-Secure patents, including the following: GB2353372, GB2366691, GB2366692, GB2366693, GB2367933, GB2368233, GB2374260
This document contains late-breaking information about the F-Secure Server Security 14.00 release. We strongly recommend that you read the entire document before installing the software.
F-Secure continuously improves documentation. Refer to the latest version of this document online at the F-Secure website.
Important notice: This release of F-Secure Server Security 14.00 Standard and Premium should be used with F-Secure Policy Manager. This version cannot be used with the cloud-based F-Secure Protection Service for Business management portal.
F-Secure Server Security provides protection for your Microsoft Windows Server, Microsoft Small Business Server, Citrix XenApp, and Windows Terminal servers. The solution can be licensed and deployed as F-Secure Server Security (Standard) or F-Secure Server Security Premium, on per-server or terminal connection basis.
This new F-Secure Server Security solution release includes the following features:
- Virus & spyware protection – protects your computer against viruses, trojans, spyware, rootkits and other malware.
- DeepGuard™ – proactive, instant protection against unknown threats. It monitors application behavior and stops potentially harmful activities in real-time.
- DataGuard – monitors protected folders to prevent untrusted applications from modifying your files.
- Web traffic scanning – detects and blocks malicious content in web traffic (HTTP protocol) to provide additional protection against malware.
- Firewall – consists of Windows Firewall integration and centralized management.
- Application control – allows you to restrict virtually any application from starting.
- Browsing protection – protection for your terminal users against web browser exploits and rogue web sites.
- Offload scanning agent for virtual environments – allows to offload malware scanning to F-Secure Scanning and Reputation Server in Virtual and Cloud Environments.
- Software Updater – keeps your system and applications up-to-date by installing patches as they are released by vendors.
- Rapid Detection & Response – uses lightweight, discreet sensors that collect behavioral data from endpoint devices to identify a wide range of attacks.
The table below shows which features are enabled with different product licenses.
|Feature||F-Secure Server Security||F-Secure Server Security Premium|
|Virus & spyware protection||●||●|
|Web traffic scanning||●||●|
|Offload Scanning Agent||●||●|
|Rapid Detection & Response||●||●|
The supported languages are: English, Chinese (P. R.C, Taiwan, Hong Kong), Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, Canadian French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovenian, Spanish, Latin American Spanish, Swedish, and Turkish.
- New features and improvements
- New technology stack
- Significantly revised the scanning architecture and communication between endpoint components and Policy Manager. This introduces the latest F-Secure technologies and unifies them across all F-Secure products.
- Installation time and the need for restarts are significantly decreased.
- New protocol for delivering updates (GUTS2). The new protocol decreases the probability of clients having to do a full download of updates, for example after a weekend offline.
- Rapid Detection & Response
- The Rapid Detection & Response sensor is included in both Standard and Premium editions of Server Security 14.00.
- Updated user interface
- User experience refreshed and revised. The user interface is updated.
- Local configuration is performed from the local user interface dialogs. There is no WebUI interface bundled with Server Security 14.00.
- F-Secure Server product now includes the firewall feature, which is based on the Windows firewall engine. It is automatically turned on after installing Server Security, unless explicitly disabled in the policies.
- Centralized configuration experience is similar to the F-Secure Client Security workstation product. The only server-specific feature is a separate firewall profile selector, which is set to the ‘Server’ profile by default.
- Firewall profiles are only managed centrally and cannot be modified locally. If allowed, local users can configure the firewall using the Windows Firewall interface.
- Rules from the current Firewall profile created for the Windows Firewall are labeled with “F-Secure Firewall” as a group name.
- DataGuard protection
- DataGuard is a feature that strengthens DeepGuard by monitoring specific folders on your computer to prevent untrusted applications from modifying your files. DataGuard is especially useful against any new ransomware that is able to get past the product’s other security layers.
- DataGuard protection is available in Premium edition only.
- DataGuard blocks suspicious applications that are considered to behave as ransomware and may block attempts to modify data folders by untrusted applications. The related alerts are generated and sent to the Policy Manager.
- Application control
- Application control allows restricting virtually any application from starting, based on powerful rules defined by the administrator. See the Policy Manager documentation for details.
- Updateable sidegrade
- Server Security 14.00 contains the same sidegrade mechanism as Client Security 14. Setup can download the fresh sidegrade package from Policy Manager on installation. As in Client Security, the sidegrade procedure can be switched off in Policy Manager Remote Installation Wizards.
- Product installation changes
- Server Security Standard and Premium editions are now distributed as a single JAR file that contains both editions. The product edition is selected when you configure the package with Remote Installation Wizards based on the entered keycode. Keycodes are validated at this stage.
- Trial keycodes are no longer needed for evaluating the product. The evaluation logic is enforced on the Policy Manager side, which blocks centralized configuration from the Console after the evaluation period expires. Remote Installation Wizards detect when Policy Manager runs in evaluation mode and do not ask for a keycode in this case.
Note: This Server Security version requires Policy Manager 14.10.
- New technology stack
Before you install the product, we recommend that you review this section to ensure that your network, hardware, software, and other system components meet the requirements.
Note: The minimum hardware requirements may not be sufficient if you run multiple services on the same system.
- System requirements for F-Secure Server Security installation
- To install F-Secure Server Security, the following minimum hardware and system requirements are recommended.
- Any computer that meets the requirements for the supported operating system.
- 10 GB or more disk space is recommended.
- An internet connection is required to receive updates and to use cloud-based detection.
- This Server Security version requires Windows Universal C Runtime (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows) for installation.
- Supported operating systems
- The product can be installed on a computer running one of the following operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2
- Microsoft Small Business Server 2011, Standard edition
- Microsoft Small Business Server 2011, Essentials
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Essentials
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Foundation
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Essentials
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Datacenter
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Core
- Microsoft Windows Server 2019 Standard
- Microsoft Windows Server 2019 Essentials
- Microsoft Windows Server 2019 Datacenter
- Microsoft Windows Server 2019 Core
Note: Windows Server 2016 Nano is not supported.
All Microsoft Windows Server editions are supported except:
- Windows Server for Itanium processor
- Windows HPC editions for specific hardware
- Windows Storage editions
- Windows MultiPoint Server
- Windows Home Server
Note: All operating systems are required to have the latest Service Pack installed.
Note: For performance and security reasons, you can install the product only on an NTFS partition.
- Supported terminal servers
- F-Secure Server Security supports the following terminal server platforms:
- Microsoft Windows Terminal/RDP Services (on the above mentioned Windows Server platforms)
- Citrix XenApp 5.0
- Citrix XenApp 6.0
- Citrix XenApp 6.5
- Citrix XenApp 7.5, 7.6
- Centralized management requirements
- F-Secure Policy Manager 14.10 is required to centrally manage F-Secure Server Security.
Setup and configuration
- Installation instructions
- Note: If you are using an installation package that does not include the sidegrade procedure, uninstall any potentially conflicting products, such as other antivirus or server security software, before you install F-Secure Server Security.
To install the product, you need to log in with administrator privileges.
- Installation instructions in virtual environments using the F-Secure Offload Scanning Agent
- If you want to deploy F-Secure Server Security to a virtual environment using the Offload Scanning Agent to minimize the performance impact on the virtualization infrastructure, you need to select the installation of the Offload Scanning Agent during installation.
For detailed instructions of installation of this feature, please refer to the F-Secure Security for Virtual and Cloud Environments deployment guide.
Note: You need to have F-Secure Scanning and Reputation Server in place for this functionality to work.
- Remote installation
- F-Secure Server Security supports remote installation with F-Secure Policy Manager.
- Centralized management installation
- To configure centralized management during the interactive installation, specify the F-Secure Management Server address in the form of host name or host IP address without protocol prefix and port suffix. Use the default HTTP port and HTTPS port values unless you have a non-standard environment.
Contact information and feedback
We look forward to hearing your comments and feedback on the product functionality, usability and performance.
Please report any technical issues via:
- F-Secure support web site: http://support.f-secure.com
- F-Secure Community: http://community.f-secure.com/t5/End-point/bd-p/End-point_Security
Before sending us a report about your issue, run F-Secure Support Tool FSDiag.exe on the host that is running F-Secure Server Security. This utility gathers basic information about hardware, operating system, network configuration and installed F-Secure and third-party software that helps us to analyze and solve the issue.
You can also run the FSDiag.exe utility under %ProgramFiles(x86)%\F-Secure\Common folder. The tool generates a file called FSDiag.tar.gz.
F-Secure license terms
F-Secure license terms are included in the software. You must read and accept them before you can install and use the software.