Copyright © 1997-2019 F-Secure Corporation. All rights reserved.
‘F-Secure’ and F -logo are registered trademarks of F-Secure Corporation. F-Secure product and technology names and F-Secure logos are either trademarks or registered trademarks of F-Secure Corporation. Other product names and logos referenced herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
This product may be covered by one or more F-Secure patents, including the following:
GB2353372, GB2366691, GB2366692, GB2366693, GB2367933, GB2368233, GB2374260
This document contains the latest information about the F-Secure Client Security for Mac 14.00 release. We recommend that you read the entire document before installing the product.
- Client Security for Mac now has a fully-featured centralized management experience with Policy Manager:
- Support for centralized policy configuration.
- Support for the following remote operations: virus scanning, network isolation, collection of diagnostics data.
- Reporting alerts and client protection status.
- Added support for detecting conflicting security products before the installation. Client Security for Mac installer informs you of conflicting products before the installation starts.
- Improved scanning performance.
- XFence is now part of the Client Security for Mac.
- XFence helps protect personal data from being deleted, ransomed, or stolen by malware.
- Protects against threats to your data by requiring applications to get your permission before reading or writing to your personal files.
- Requires applications to get permission, for example, before they can use the computer’s webcam, install new startup programs, take control of other programs, eavesdrop on Internet connections.
- Actively monitors for keyboard eavesdropping, microphone use, and other activities that can affect your privacy.
Installation and system requirements
Note: Client Security for Mac 14.00 requires Policy Manager 14.30 or higher.
It is strongly recommended that you remove all other security products before installation. The product installer will notify you of incompatible software before installation.
Import the product installation JAR package to Policy Manager Console. To create a customized installer configured to run with your specific instance of Policy Manager Server, use the export tool in F-Secure Policy Manager Console. The export wizard will guide you through the procedure and collect all the required information and produce a Multipackage installer script (MPKG) that you should copy and launch on target workstations. Consult the F-Secure Policy Manager Administrator’s Guide for the full step-by-step instructions on how to use the export tool.
- Use either a fully qualified DNS name (for example policymanager01.test.example.com) or IP address for the Policy Manager Server used for the centralized management of Client Security for Mac. Host names or other partial addresses are not recognized by the client.
- Do not change the file name of the installer package, as the information required to connect to the Policy Manager Server is encoded into it.
- Client Security for Mac downloads updates only from F-Secure’s GUTS2 server, guts2.sp.f-secure.com, downloading updates from Policy Manager Server is not supported. If outbound connectivity is restricted, the related firewall rule needs to be added (access to and http://guts2.sp.f-secure.com/).
Operating systems supported
- macOS 10.15 Catalina
- macOS 10.14 Mojave
- macOS 10.13 High Sierra
The recommended system requirements are:
- Intel processor
- 250 MB of free disk space
- 1 GB or more of memory is recommended
- Internet Connection: An Internet connection is required to receive updates
Supported versions of F-Secure Policy Manager
- F-Secure Policy Manager 14.30
Localizations are enabled for following 30 languages: English, Bulgarian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, French (Canadian), German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovenian, Spanish, Spanish (Mexican), Swedish, Turkish, Vietnamese, Traditional Chinese (Hong Kong), Traditional Chinese (Taiwan) and Simplified Chinese.
- Website will bypass block pages when “Security Cloud” is not available.
When “Security Cloud” is not available, users may be able to visit any website regardless of the settings.
- Connection problems with proxy.
If proxy is changed while the software is running, the computer may need to be restarted for the product to take the new proxy into use.
- Browsing protection and Banking protection are not enabled by default in Chrome Incognito mode.
Users can enable the features for Chrome Incognito mode by going to Chrome → Preferences → Extensions and checking ‘Allow in incognito’ for the ‘Browsing Protection by F-Secure’ extension.
- All banking sites are not yet classified as banks.
If you were expecting a banking notification but it did not show up, please submit the banking URL through https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_global/submit-a-sample
Integration with Policy Manager:
- The client downloads virus definition updates only from the Internet.
- The operation to trigger a check for new virus definition updates is not supported.
- Computer may temporarily hang while a Time Capsule disk is being unmounted.
Sometimes real-time scanning might cause the computer to slow down or hang while a Time Capsule disk is being unmounted. Restarting the computer resolves the issue.
- Third-party accessibility tools like Better Touch Tool or MagicPrefs prevent installation of the Browsing protection extension for Safari.
- Restarting in safe mode disables MagicPrefs and other accessibility software and allow the extension to be installed. Another workaround is to quit the MagicPrefs app from the system menu bar and then try installing the extension again.
- The product will warn about missing browser extensions even when Browsing protection is disabled.
Installing browser extensions stops the warnings from appearing.
Contact information and feedback
We are looking forward to hearing comments and feedback on the product functionality, usability and performance.
Please report any technical issues through the F-Secure support web site:
If you are reporting a technical problem, please attach the F-Secure system summary report to the feedback. To collect the system summary report, you need to have administrator rights.
- In Finder, go to the product folder in Applications, run the Support Tool, and follow the instructions. The fsdiag.tar.gz system report file is created on the Desktop.