When you try to download and install your McAfee security product, the download might fail with error 12152 or error 7305.
You might also see a message similar to one of the following:
We’re having trouble completing your McAfee software installation because of this error: 12152.
We’re having trouble completing your McAfee software. Here are some fixes you can try
Still having trouble? Contact McAfee Support and mention problem code 12152
Your computer and your internet connection do not cause these errors. The 12152 or 7305 error means that a problem with the McAfee download servers caused your download to fail.
For example, it is possible that the McAfee download servers are overloaded with customers trying to download product updates.
We suggest that you wait for a short time, for example an hour, and then try your download again. If the download still fails, try again later in the day.
If you continue to have a problem, do one of the following based on your operating system version:
- Download and run the McAfee Software Install Helper tool.
- Type your registered email address and password, and then click Login.
NOTE: If you can’t remember your password, click Forgot Password? and follow the prompts.
- Click Start, accept the License Agreement, and follow the prompts. Your installed McAfee software might be uninstalled and reinstalled to resolve the issue. So, the tool might take 15 minutes or more to complete.
When the McAfee Software Install Helper tool completes, your issue is resolved.
- Always download a new copy of MCPR before each use.
This ensures that you have the latest version, and that newer McAfee products can be successfully recognized.
- MCPR cleans up only the components needed for reinstallation. It is not designed to clean up 100% of components.
- Completing this step requires a restart.
Before you start:
- Bookmark or favorite this article so that you can easily get back to it.
- Save all open files.
- Close all programs.
- Download the MCPR tool.
- Double-click MCPR.exe.
- If you see a security warning:
Click Yes, Continue, or Run (depending on your version of Windows):
- At the McAfee Software Removal screen:
- Click Next.
- Click Agree to accept the End User License Agreement (EULA).
- At the Security Validation screen:
- Type the characters exactly as shown on your screen. Validation is case-sensitive.
- Click Next. This step prevents the accidental use of MCPR.
- When the process is complete, you see one of the following messages. Click the one that you see.
- Restart your PC to complete the removal process.
IMPORTANT: When your PC restarts, it will not be protected from viruses and malware. Ensure that you reinstall your security software as soon as possible to remain protected.
- Restart your PC and run MCPR again.
- If you see Cleanup Unsuccessful again, ignore it.
- Restart your PC again.
- Attempt to reinstall your McAfee software.
If you are still unable to install:
- Click here to contact Technical Support.
- Let the agent know:
- MCPR produced a Cleanup Unsuccessful message.
- You are unable to reinstall your McAfee software.
- Try to install your McAfee product again.
If you still can’t download and install your McAfee product, contact Technical Support.
If you see this issue while trying to upgrade your existing McAfee software, your PC is still protected by the currently installed version.
McAfee security products for Windows (such as LiveSafe, and Total Protection) are fully supported on the following Windows versions:
- Microsoft Windows 10
- Microsoft Windows 8.1
- McAfee recommends that your installation of Windows is always fully patched and up to date.
- To see the latest system requirements for Windows, see TS102471 – McAfee system requirements for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
CAUTION: Microsoft no longer supports Windows 7.x, Windows XP, or Windows Vista. Your PC could be at risk from new threats if you are using any of these Windows versions. McAfee strongly recommends that you upgrade your PC’s operating system to a newer version as soon as possible.
McAfee support for McAfee products running on Windows 8.0 or 7.x is limited:
- Windows 8.0, and 7.x
- McAfee provides only “best effort” support for McAfee products installed on Windows 8.0 and 7.x.
- The current McAfee Windows security products do not support Windows 8.0 or 7.x. Version 16.0.31 is the most recent McAfee Windows security product version to support Windows 8.0 and 7.x.
- For details about Microsoft’s End of Support for Windows 7.x, see Microsoft’s advisory.
McAfee provides no support for McAfee products running on Windows XP, or Vista:
- Windows XP, and Vista
- McAfee security products are unable to get updates on Windows XP, or Vista. If you are using one of these Windows versions, and you want to run McAfee software on your PC, you must upgrade your PC’s operating system to a newer version.
- For details about Microsoft’s support for Windows XP, and Vista, see Microsoft’s advisory, and Microsoft’s Product Lifecycle page.