Change the product key for your version
How you change the product key depends on your version of Office. Select your Office version from the tabs below.
Best practice for multiple versions of Office
If you bought multiple copies of Office and used the same Install button to install Office on multiple PCs, activation fails on the other PCs. This happens because each Install button is associated with a unique product key that can only be installed on one PC. To fix this, you can change the product key for the other PCs where you installed Office.
Note: After you change your product key, we recommend that you create a list to manage the product keys that you’ve installed. To learn how, see Manage multiple one-time-purchase Office installs that use the same Microsoft account.
Most versions of Office 2021 and Office 2019 don’t include a product key and you only need to sign in with the account already linked to your Office license.
If your version did include a product key, follow the steps under the 2016 tab.
- On the device where you want to change the key, open any Office app, select the File menu and then select Account near the bottom of the menu.
- Under Product Information, select the Change License button.
If there is no Change License button, you may need to install Office updates.
- Do one of the following:
- If you’re signed in, select Use a different account, and then select Enter product key instead.
- If you’re not signed in, select Enter product key instead.
- Enter your Office 2016 product key, and then select Install this product instead.
If your product key is new, follow the prompts to complete the redemption process.
Office begins the update process. Close all Office apps to finish the process.
- Uninstall Office from the PC where activation is failing. To do this, see Uninstall from a PC.
- On the PC where you uninstalled Office, sign in to your Services & subscriptions page with the email and password associated with the Microsoft account that was used to install Office.
Reinstall Office by selecting Install Office for a one-time purchase that hasn’t been activated. For help with installing Office, see Install Office on your PC or Mac.