The Base Filtering Engine is a service that controls Firewall and IPSec policies by filtering user modes.
The installation of a Kaspersky application may fail if the Base Filtering Engine is missing. To install your Kaspersky application successfully, check that the Base Filtering Engine service exists in your operating system.
How to check for the Base Filtering Engine and start it
- Press Win + R on your keyboard.
- Enter services.msc in the search field and click OK.
- Find the Base Filtering Engine in the list of services.
- Make sure that it is running. You should see the status Running in the Status column.
If this status is not displayed, right-click on the Base Filtering Engine service and select Start from the shortcut menu.
The Base Filtering Engine service is now running.
What to do if you get the “Access denied” error when starting Base Filtering Engine
When starting Base Filtering Engine, you may get “Error 5” (access denied).
- Open the registry editor. For instructions, see this article.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
- Right-click BFE and select Permissions in the context menu.
- Click Advanced.
- Click Add.
- Click Select a principal.
- Type Everyone and click OK.
- Select the Full Control checkbox and click OK.
- Select the checkbox Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object and click OK.
- Click OK.
What to do if the Base Filtering Engine is not in the list of services or fails to run
Editor by : BEST Antivirus KBS Team